Print Friendly Recipe
- Prickly Pear
- 1/4 c warm water
- 2 T (dry/granulated) yeast
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 c hot water
- 3 T butter or margarine
- 1 c cold water
- 6 c (approximately) flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (105 degrees) and let sit for 10 minutes to proof.
- Put sugar and salt in mixing bowl.
- Add the hot water with butter or margarine melted in it to sugar & salt mixture and mix well.
- Pour in cold water and mix.
- Add flour 1 cup (225 ml) at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Knead for 4-5 minutes with dough hook on mixer OR 15 minutes by hand.
- Turn into an oiled bowl.
- Turn dough over in bowl so top of dough is covered with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in warm place until doubled in size.
- Punch down and remove from bowl.
- Divide into two pieces.
- Form into loaves and place in loaf pans that have been sprayed with PAM (cooking spray).
- Spray tops of loaves with PAM and cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) in center of oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pans and cool on wire racks.
- Can be frozen.
- I've been making this bread for the past 38 years--since I was 14 years old. For a variation: substitute one cup of the white flour with one cup of whole wheat flour.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.