Print Friendly Recipe
- The Home-Baking Cookbook by N.Sylvester, Grosset/Dunlap 1973
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) corn meal
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) warm water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- Scald milk.
- Using large bowl, mix milk, sugar, corn meal, flour and salt (first 5 quantities only).
- Cover & set in a warm place overnight.
- In the morning (mixture should be bubbley) add next 2 cups (475 ml) flour, warm water, 2 tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar and butter.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Cover and let rise until bubbley (from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours).
- Add the remaining 4 to 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour.
- Turn onto floured board and knead 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place in greased bread pans.
- Cover and let rise until light (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Bake at 425 degrees (225 C.) for 15 minutes, then at 375 degrees (200 C.) for about 35 to 40 minutes more.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.