Print Friendly Recipe
- Moist and slightly spicey, sweet/sour cake
- Prickly Pear
- 2 T soft butter
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 c sifted flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t cloves
- 2 c rhubarb, cut into 1/2" dice
- 2 c sugar
- 4 T cornstarch
- 2-1/2 water
- 4 T butter
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 t lemon extract (optional--use for a tangier sauce)
- yellow food coloring
- Mix together 2 T soft butter, 1 cup (225 ml) sugar and 1 egg.
- Stir in 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk.
- Sift together 2 cups (475 ml) sifted flour, 2 t baking powder, 1 t salt, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t nutmeg and 1/2 t cloves.
- Then add to previously mixed ingredients.
- Stir in 2 c cut up rhubarb.
- Place in 9x13" pan sprayed with Pam.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until done.
- Lemon Sauce Topping:
- Mix together 2 cups (475 ml) sugar and 4 T cornstarch well in a 2-quart microwave safe bowl.
- Add 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) water.
- Microwave on high until thick and bubbly (and mostly clear), stirring every minute or two.
- Blend in 4 T butter, grated rind and the juice of 1 lemon, 1/4 t lemon extract (lemon extract is optional) and a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- Mix well, let cool.
- Serve cake with sauce ladled over top of each individual piece.
- My mother got this recipe from the pastor's wife in 1952 and it has been a seasonal family favorite ever since. Even people who say they dislike rhubarb enjoy this cake.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.