Print Friendly Recipe
- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:4 or more servings minimum
- 3-1/4 c flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 pkg yeast (or 1 T)
- 1 c hot water
- 1 T butter, softened
- 1/4 c thousand island dressing
- 6 oz (168 grm) thinly sliced corned beef
- 1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 (8 oz) can sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- caraway seed, optional
- Set aside 1 c flour.
- In large bowl, mix remaining flour, sugar, salt & yeast.
- Stir in hot water and butter.
- Mix in only enough reserved flour to make a soft dough.
- On floured surface, knead for 4 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise (covered) until double in bulk.
- Punch down.
- On greased baking sheet, roll dough to a 14x10" rectangle.
- Spread dressing down center third of dough length.
- Top with layers of corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut.
- Cut 1" wide strips along sides of filling out to dough edges.
- Alternating sides, fold strips at an angle across filling.
- Cover dough.
- Place baking sheet over large shallow pan half-filled with boiling water for 15-30 minutes.
- Then brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seed.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool slightly; cut into approximately 1" slices and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers; reheat in microwave to warm.
- I have been making this dish for football halftime snacking for about 15 years now. I usually serve corn chowder on the side.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.