Print Friendly Recipe
- This creamy chowder is fabulous and full of flavors
- D. Lishus
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 whole chicken breasts, with bone
- 1 16oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) jalapeno salsa
- 1 green bell pepper, coursely chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) hot pepper sauce
- 2 10-oz. packages frozen kernel corn or 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sherry
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpouse flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) half-n-half or heavy cream
- In pressure cooker, over medium-high heat, saute bacon until crisp.
- Add oil, onion, garlic and chicken; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salsa, bell pepper, broth, salt, red pepper flakes, and hot pepper sauce.
- Close lid and bring to second red ring (high pressure) over high heat.
- Immediately reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 6 minutes.
- Release pressure using finger-tip release method for the new cookers or according to manufacturure's directions.
- Remove lid; lift chicken out.
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite size pieces.
- Add chicken pieces, corn, cilantro and sherry to pressure cooker.
- Bring to a simmer without pressure lid and cook 2 minutes.
- To thicken the soup, make a paste from the flour and butter, blending well in a small bowl.
- Add one tbsp of the flour-butter mixture to the soup at a time, mixing well until soup appears creamy, until all mixture is blended well into the soup and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in half-n-half or cream and mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot with corn chips and garnish with choice of shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo and enjoy.
- You can even make this low fat by omitting the butter and using non-fat yogurt for the half-n-half. It tastes just as delicious and has half the calories.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.