Print Friendly Recipe
- A hearty and satisfying dish of beans, chicken and sausage in a tomato based stew
- D. Lishus
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). (2 cups) dried white beans - you can also use northern, flageolet or cannellini
- 2 whole chicken breasts, split into halves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). oil
- 4 smoked pork sausages
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 14.5 oz (406 grm). can peeled and chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) dry white wine
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Wash, sort and soak the beans; drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- In a 4 quarts (3775 ml) or larger pressure cooker, cover the beans with water and bring to boil.
- Close lid and bring to the second red ring over high heat.
- Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at the second red ring; cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat source and leave to cool and release pressure naturally.
- In a 2 quarts (1900 ml) or larger pressure cooker, brown chicken on all sides.
- Close lid and bring pressure to the second red ring over high heat.
- Adjust heat to stabalize pressure at the second red ring.
- Cook for 6 minutes; remove from the heat source and use touch release method.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage and set aside, reserving the drippings.
- Saute onions, carrots, thyme and garlic until soft and golden in the drippings.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, wine, broth and some salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat to reduce and thicken sauce.
- Cut up the chicken and slice the sausages.
- Place the meats and beans in a 3 quarts (2850 ml) to 4 quarts (3775 ml) casserole.
- Add tomato mixture and mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 minutes to intensify flavors.
- Serve in bowls, garnishing with parsley.
- Worth the effort and makes perfect leftovers - reheats beautifully.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.