Print Friendly Recipe
- A savory rice and shrimp casserole.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fat
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chedder cheese, grated
- 1 14-1/2 oz (406 grm). can diced stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) tabasco sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups (700 ml) cooked rice
- 2 cups (475 ml) cooked peeled shrimp (frozen, small to medium size work great)
- 1 cup (225 ml) chedder cheese, grated
- parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, make a roux of fat and flour.
- Add onion and cook in roux until withered.
- Add garlic, parsley, 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheese, tomatoes, water, green pepper, salt, pepper, tabasco, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let these ingredients come to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and shrimp.
- Stir slowly for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Pour into buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup (225 ml) grated cheese over top.
- Add chopped parsley for garnish.
- Place in 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 15 minutes.
- If frozen or prepared ahead, heating takes longer.
- This came from a newsprint recipe booklet picked up in Louisiana in the 60's.
Serve with a green vegetable, tossed green salad and some nice dinner rolls.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.