Print Friendly Recipe
- Variation of tasty English favorite, Toad in the Hole, and combines a creamy bread-pudding batter with sausage or ham.
- 2 cups (475 ml) whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) all purpose flour
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) salt
- 1 large bunch fresh chives
- 1 pound sliced Irish bacon, or canadian bacon (if using canadian bacon, use an additional 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil, since Irish bacon has more fat that is necessary for this dish)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil (or more)
- In a blender, blend the milk, flour, eggs and salt until smooth.
- Transfer batter to bowl.
- Chop enough chives to measure a half cup and whisk chives into batter.
- Cover batter and chill at least one hour up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Trim fat from bacon and cook fat over low heat in a large skillet until fat is rendered and solids are golden brown.
- Discard solids.
- Saute bacon in remaining fat over high heat until done; remove and set aside.
- Pour the remaining fat into measuring cup and add enough enough vegetable oil to measure 3/4 cup (175 ml).
- Pour the oil into a baking dish, 13 x 9 inch, and heat in oven for five minutes.
- Quickly arrange bacon in dish and pour the reserved batter over.
- Bake pudding in middle of oven until puffed and golden brown, about fifty minutes.
Copyright ©1997-2021 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.