Print Friendly Recipe
- Chicken breasts coated in a savory shitake mushroom crust, topped with delicious creamed mushrooms for double the flavor.
- For chicken:
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coursely chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) fine bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved (4 pieces - about1 1/2lbs)
- For creamed mushrooms:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). butter
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh shiitake mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). white wine vineger
- 1 tsp (5 ml). fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- Prepare coating:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (225 C.).
- In a shallow baking pan, drizzle one tbsp of the olive oil over the shiitake mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Roast mushrooms, stirring once or twice, twelve to fifteen minutes or until golden - keep oven at 450 degrees (225 C.).
- Mince the roasted mushrooms in a shallow bowl and add the breadcrumbs adn salt and pepper to taste.
- In two separate bowls, have ready the seasoned flour and the egg.
- Working with one chicken breast at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess, and dip in egg, letting excess drip off.
- Coat chicken with shitake mixture, gently letting excess fall off, and transfer to plate.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking.
- Cook chicken until nicely golden, about one minute on each side, and transfer to baking pan and roast for about ten minutes, or until just cooked through.
- To make creamed mushrooms while chicken is roasting:
- In same skillet, heat butter and cook shallots over low heat, stirring until softened.
- Add shiitakes and season with salt and pepper and saute over med-high heat until mushrooms are softened and browned a bit.
- Stir in wine, vineger and rosemary and stir until liquid is evaporated.
- Add cream and stir until slightly thickened, about one minute.
- Season to taste and serve with chicken.
|Email This To A Friend