Print Friendly Recipe
- Light and golden-crisp crepes stuffed with a rich filling of bacon, mushrooms and cream - Superb!
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 ml) finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- vegetable oil for coating skillet
- 8 slices bacon, chopped or diced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped parsley
- grated cheese (optional)
- Make crepes:
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter and parsley until well combined.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a 6 inch to 8 inch crepe pan over moderately high heat until hot.
- Brush pan with oil and heat until hot but not smoking.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir batter and half-fill a 1/4 cup (60 ml) measure with it.
- Pour batter into pan, tilting and rotating pan quickly to cover bottom with a thin layer of batter, and return any excess to bowl.
- Return pan to heat and loosen edge of crepe with spatula.
- Cook crepe until under side is lightly browned.
- Turn and lightly brown on other side; transfer to warm plate.
- Repeat process and use the remaining batter to make the rest of the crepes, brushing pan with oil each time.
- Make filling:
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp and remove from skillet and reserve; save fat in pan.
- Saute mushrooms in in pan, adding one tbsp of butter, and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the liquid the mushrooms release has evaporated a bit (five minutes or so).
- Remove from skillet.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (90 C.).
- In skillet, melt remaining butter over moderate-high heat and whisk in flour.
- Whisk and cook roux (flour-butter mixture) for three minutes.
- Add milk gradually, whisking constantly, and cook five minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Add mushrooms, cream, bacon, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer ten minutes, or until thick; cool slightly.
- Fill crepes with about a quarter to a half cup of filling and fold up crepe.
- Transfer filled crepes to oven-proof dish and sprinkle with a bit of cheese, if you like, and heat in oven before serving.
- This is a really excellent dish and is perfect for a luncheon (or any occasion) - serve with a green salad and a good wine and enjoy!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.