Print Friendly Recipe
- Indian-style shrimp in aromatic tomato-cream sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato puree
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground roasted cumin seeds (or regular cumin powder)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) chili powder, or to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 8 oz (224 grm). thick coconut milk, or heavy cream
- For Shrimp:
- vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 15 fresh curry leaves (can substitute curry powder, but different taste)
- 1-1/4 lbs (.6 kg). fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- hot cooked rice
- For sauce:
- Put the tomato puree in a bowl.
- Add the sauce ingredients, but wait on the coconut milk or cream.
- Mix the tomato mixture well and add one tbsp of water to this.
- Slowly whisk in the coconut milk or cream and blend well; set aside.
- For the shrimp:
- Heat a few tbsp of oil in wok or large skillet over moderate-high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds; when seeds begin to pop, add garlic and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry until garlic gets lightly golden; add shrimp.
- Stir-fry until shrimp are just about done and add sauce mixture.
- Turn heat to medium and gently heat the sauce with the shrimp on a simmer until sauce is heated through.
- When shrimp and sauce are cooked and heated, remove from heat and serve with rice.
- Delicious and easy dish from india; good beginner recipe and very tasty!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.