Print Friendly Recipe
- Indian-style chicken in sauce.
- 16 pieces chicken, skinned
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plus 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 (or 3) cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) blanched slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cardamom
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground red pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground fennel
- 2 cups (475 ml) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil in large pot or dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Pat chicken dry; add chicken in batches and quickly cook on all sides until no longer pink on outside - but not too brown.
- Remove chicken and set aside in warm place.
- Heat remaining half cup oil in pot and add onions.
- Cook onions for about twelve minutes, stirring constantly, until softened and golden brown.
- Add almonds, coriander, ginger, cardamom, red pepper, cumin, and fennel and cook three to five more minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Transfer half of onion mixture to food processor or blender; add half of the yogurt of cream (1 cup) and half of the water (half cup) to the onion mix in blender and puree.
- Repeat process with rest of onions, yogurt and water.
- (*you can leave out the pureeing step and leave mixture "as is" if you prefer, but pureeing the mixture gives a very nice result)
- Pour sauce back in skillet.
- Add the reserved chicken to sauce and place over med-high heat to bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender and sauce is thickened, about fourty-five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about half an hour (this intensifies the flavor - if you can wait that long!)
- Reheat gently and serve with buttered rice and vegetables.
- Mouth-watering recipe of India. Yummmmmmmmyy!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.