Print Friendly Recipe
- 4 game hens
- 3 oz (84 grm). shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 spring onions or green onions, chopped
- 1 oz (28 grm) butter
- 3 oz (84 grm). rice, cooked
- 1 oz (28 grm). wild rice, cooked
- 1 oz (28 grm). pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a little oil
- 1/2 oz (14 grm). butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stock celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 pint chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch watercress, for garnish
- Bone the gamehens without removing legs or wings (optional).
- Make the stuffing:
- Cook the mushroooms slowly in butter, with the spring onions,for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice with the nuts.
- Bind with the beaten egg and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay the gamehens, skin side down, flat on the tabletop.
- Divide the stuffing between them and sew them up using cotton or very fine string.
- Heat the oil in a flame-proof casserole, add the butter and when foaming, add the gamehens two at a time and brown lightly all over.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the pan and fry til lightly browned.
- Set the gamehens on top of the veggies.
- Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring up to a boil and simmer 40 to 50 minutes.
- When the game hens are done, remove to a warm serving plate.
- Remove the string or cotton.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce:
- Skim the fat from the top of the cooking juices.
- Strain the sauce with a little mirepoix, into a clean saucepan.
- Boil rapidly to a syrupy consistency.
- (Check that the sauce is not too strong. If necessary,add a little buerre marie to thicken it.)
- Taste and season.
- Arrange the gamehens on a warm serving plate.
- Garnish with watercress.
- Heat the sauce and pour into a large warm sauce boat.
- Serve the sauce separately.
- A great recipe for a special dinner. A good side dish is Sugar Snaps, Carrots and Basil and a nice green salad.
Copyright ©1997-2021 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.