Print Friendly Recipe
- Russian potato dumpling
- Doris - Ohio
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 4 cups (950 ml) to 5 cups (1175 ml) flour, enough to make a stiff dough
- 8 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- salt, to taste
- Combine eggs, water, salt and flour.
- Knead into a stiff pasta type dough.
- Roll dough into long roll on floured board.
- Cut into 1 inch sections.
- Flatten each section in the palm of your hand.
- They should be about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
- Saute onion until transparent.
- Combine potatoes, onion and butter.
- Mash until smooth and fluffy.
- Put 1 tsp (5 ml). of filling in center of the dumpling.
- Fold over and pinch shut. (If dough is dry, moisten fingers when pinching. The seam MUST BE SEALED; it should look like a half moon.
- Place on floured cookie sheet to prevent sticking.
- To cook:
- Gently slide into large pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 5 minutes. When they are almost done, they will float to the top.
- Vareniky do not need to be cooked right away. It can be frozen on cookie sheet before cooking then placed in freezer bags.
You could also add cheese to the potato mixture. Other fillings used are chopped cabbage with shredded carrots and onion fried in butter until soft.
Can be adapted to a dessert with a very dry cottage cheese filling then served with jam, fresh fruit, or sour cream (a Russian favorite)on top.
This is an authentic Russian recipe brought back to the states by a missionary.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.