Print Friendly Recipe
- A savory pie filled with cheeses and italian meats and served during Italian Easter celebrations
- Eleanora Scarpetta on Martha Stewart Living Program 4-17-00
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) bread flour, plus more for rolling
- 16 large eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, plus more for pan and brushing crust
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sweet traditional Italian sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 oz (112 grm). hot traditional Italian sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). proscuitto cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb (.5 kg). dry mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). fresh cheese, finely crumbled
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). basket cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Oil a 10 x 3 inch round cake pan, and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mound flour in the center of a clean work surface, and make a well in the middle.
- Crack 3 eggs into the well.
- Beat eggs with a fork until smooth.
- Add olive oil, and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Gradually work flour and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water a drop at a time into egg mixture with a fork, until dough comes together.
- Knead dough, slowly adding remaining flour until dough is soft but not sticky, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, and continue to kneed each piece 2 to 3 minutes more.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to an 18 inch circle.
- Loosely drape dough over the prepared cake pan.
- Trim dough, leaving about a 1 1/2 inch border around the edge.
- Roll out remaining half of dough to a 14 inch circle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 13 eggs, pepper, and Pecorino romano cheese.
- Gradually stir in ricotta until well combined.
- Add dry sausages, prosciutto, mozzarella, fresh cheese, and basket cheese. Pour mixture into doughlined cake pan, and smooth the surface.
- Cover with 14 inch dough circle, and press edges together to seal in mixture.
- Using a paring knife, trim dough to hang over edge of pan by 1/2 inch. Fold edges over, and seal with a fork.
- Prick surface of dough several times with fork to allow steam to escape. Brush surface lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into center comes
- out clean, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
- Run a paring knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- Unmold, and chill completely before slicing.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Best served with a glass of wine...
This recipe was prepared by Eleanore Scarpetta on Martha Stewart's Living Show on April 17, 2000.
|Email This To A Friend