Print Friendly Recipe
- A savory pie filled with cheeses and italian meats and served during Italian Easter celebrations
- Eleanora Scarpetta on Martha Stewart Living Program 4-17-00
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) bread flour, plus more for rolling
- 16 large eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, plus more for pan and brushing crust
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sweet traditional Italian sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 oz (112 grm). hot traditional Italian sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). proscuitto cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb (.5 kg). dry mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). fresh cheese, finely crumbled
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). basket cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Oil a 10 x 3 inch round cake pan, and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mound flour in the center of a clean work surface, and make a well in the middle.
- Crack 3 eggs into the well.
- Beat eggs with a fork until smooth.
- Add olive oil, and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Gradually work flour and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water a drop at a time into egg mixture with a fork, until dough comes together.
- Knead dough, slowly adding remaining flour until dough is soft but not sticky, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, and continue to kneed each piece 2 to 3 minutes more.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to an 18 inch circle.
- Loosely drape dough over the prepared cake pan.
- Trim dough, leaving about a 1 1/2 inch border around the edge.
- Roll out remaining half of dough to a 14 inch circle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 13 eggs, pepper, and Pecorino romano cheese.
- Gradually stir in ricotta until well combined.
- Add dry sausages, prosciutto, mozzarella, fresh cheese, and basket cheese. Pour mixture into doughlined cake pan, and smooth the surface.
- Cover with 14 inch dough circle, and press edges together to seal in mixture.
- Using a paring knife, trim dough to hang over edge of pan by 1/2 inch. Fold edges over, and seal with a fork.
- Prick surface of dough several times with fork to allow steam to escape. Brush surface lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into center comes
- out clean, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
- Run a paring knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- Unmold, and chill completely before slicing.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Best served with a glass of wine...
This recipe was prepared by Eleanore Scarpetta on Martha Stewart's Living Show on April 17, 2000.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.