Print Friendly Recipe
- This is a very flavorful recipe.
- The "I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar" Cookbook
- 8 egg whites or 4 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) unsweetened pineapple juice CONCENTRATE(Minute Maid)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsweetened orange juice CONCENTRATE(Minute Maid reduced acid)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus 2 tsp (10 ml) poppy seeds(optional)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) cinnamon
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspooons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Oil and flour a 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan.
- Fill two cups of a muffin tin with paper liners because this recipe makes just a little too much batter for this size pan.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, pineapple and orange CONCENTRATES, 1 tbsp (15 ml) poppy seeds, and cinnamon.
- Beat for 1 minute with a hand-operated mechanical beater.
- Add flour and beat well by hand for 2 minutes.
- Stir in baking soda QUICKLY FOR ONLY 28 to 30 beats.
- IMMEDIATELY pour mixture into prepared baking pan and two muffin cups.
- Sprinkle remaining poppy seeds on top.
- Place cake and cupcakes in oven at the same time.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes.
- Test with cake tester.
- Remove tin from oven and remove cupcakes to a wire rack.
- Reset timer and bake cake for an additional 10 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees (150 C.) and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack until cake is completely cooled.
- Place cooled cake in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze.
- This recipe comes from a wonderful book with complete diabetic exchanges. Be sure and use concentrates and not premixed juice. The concentrates are the "sugar" for the desserts. Also, the baking soda with the acid in the concentrates causes the batter to fizz up, so be prepared for this. Don't overstir the baking soda. I top individual servings with cool whip(not included in diabetic exchange).
Diabetic exchanges for this recipe: 1 1/4 bread, 3/4 fat, 1 1/4 fruit
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.