Print Friendly Recipe
- Hot, spicy chicken dish of Indian origin.
- Becky Wellcome
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 5 T Vindaloo seasoning
- 5 T water
- 5 T ghee or oil
- 4 red potatoes, cubed
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). chicken (or lamb, duck or pork), cubed
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c water
- 6 T vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) (more or less) cayenne pepper if additonal heat is desired
- Make a paste of Vindaloo seasoning and water (5 T each).
- Heat ghee or oil in a large skillet.
- Brown potatoes and remove from pan.
- In same pan, brown chicken (or other meat) and remove.
- Add onion to pan and brown.
- Return chicken (or other meat) to pan and add Vindaloo paste and garlic.
- Add water, vinegar and salt and cook 30 minutes.
- Add potato and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning; achieve desired heat level by adding additional cayenne.
- Vindaloo seasoning is a mixture of spices including cumin, garlic, coriander, ginger, cayenne pepper, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, ground mustard, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. It is available commercially mixed from spice companies or specialty markets.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.