Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 1 lb (.5 kg). mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) barley, rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 8 cups (1900 ml) canned vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried dillweed
- salt and pepper
- sour cream (for garnish)
- grated cheese
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and barley.
- Saute until vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour to pot and stir 5 minutes.
- Gradually mix in broth.
- Bring soup to a boil stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until barley is tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 40 minutes.
- Mix in parsley and dill.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a dab of sour cream and grated cheese.
- A great soup recipe from someone who is not usually a great fan of soup!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.