Print Friendly Recipe
- My Aunt Erma King
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). yellow eye beans (sometimes called yellow eye peas)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). light brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 lb (.5 kg). salt pork, sliced and cut in 1/2
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). (heaping) prepared mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- Soak beans overnight,next day add cold water to cover.
- Add the tsp baking soda and stir, bring to boil and drain.
- Add hot water to cover beans, and add pork slices.
- Cook stove top until just tender.
- Mix sugar,salt,mustard and ginger with a small amount of water.
- Add to beans and stir.
- Put beans in a baking dish and arrange pork slices on top of beans.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) until thickened and beans are done, but not mushy, about 2 hours.
- Stir and add water if needed.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.