Print Friendly Recipe
- Hungarian Sponge Cake with Chocolate and Caramel.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sifted pastry flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sweet butter
- 2 or 3 drops coffee extract
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) powdered sugar
- chopped nuts (garnish)
- Beat yolks until creamy and light, gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition and adding with the last portion 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice.
- Mix and sift flour, cornstarch and salt, add half of it to the egg yolk mixture, stirring gently till blended and adding while blending another 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites alternately with remaining flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring gently.
- Butter and line an 8 inch spring mold with waxed paper.
- Turn in a few tbsp of batter at a time, spreading evenly over bottom of mold.
- Bake in a 450 degree (225 C.) oven 5 to 6 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove cake to cake rack and repeat process until the batter is entirely used (you get 8 layers).
- When cool, put 1 layer aside, spread the following filling between and on top of remaining 7 layers, pressing the layers firmly, but gently together.
- Melt chocolate over hot water, then add a little at a time slightly beaten egg yolks combined with cream and sugar, stirring briskly after each addition.
- Cook over hot water 5 to 6 minutes,stirring constantly until thick and smooth.
- Cream butter with coffee extract until light, then add to chocolate mixture a tbsp at a time, beating and stirring at the same time after each addition until well blended.
- Remove brom hot water and cool until of spreading consistency.
- Melt 3/4 cup (175 ml) powdered sugar over very low heat until of a light caramel color, stirring constrantly.
- Pour quickly onto remaining cake layer speading evenly and working rapidly.
- Place this layer on top of the cake, pressing firmly.
- Spread remianly chocolate filling on sides of cake and, if desired, dust very lightly with chopped nuts.
- Cool, and keep in a cool place for a least 24 hours before slicing.
- This cake will keep a week in the refrigerator.
- According to Howard Hillman in The Book of World Cuisines, this is a Hungarian seven layer sponge
cake filled with chocolate cream and glazed on top with caramel. This
recipe comes from the Anniversary Slovak-American Cook Book from Tylka Bros. Press, Inc., Chicago 1952.
It is also called Dobos Cake.
|Email This To A Friend