Print Friendly Recipe
- 6 pounds tomatoes (about 12 large)
- 9 dried hot chilies, seeds removed
- 15 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups (700 ml) diced red onion
- 6 jalape o chilies, seeded and diced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped cilantro, packed tightly
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) dried red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) red wine vinegar, 5% acidity
- Peel, seed and dice tomatoes into 1/4-inch size pieces.
- Place chilies in a small bowl.
- Pour boiling water over chilies just to cover.
- Secure plastic wrap over bowl and allow peppers to steep for 15 minutes.
- Drain half the water from chilies.
- Puree chilies and remaining water in blender for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula.
- Wipe jar rim clean.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met fingertip tight.
- Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.