Print Friendly Recipe
- L. A. Times California Cookbook, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1981
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 1 (2-1/2 lbs (1.1 kg). to 3 lbs (1.4 kg).) chicken, cut up
- 1 whole chicken breast, halved
- unsalted butter or margarine
- 4 chicken livers, diced
- 4 chicken gizzards, diced
- 4 chicken hearts, diced
- 1 cup (225 ml) minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped mint
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) red pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crumbled saffron threads
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cinnamon
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) golden raisins, soaked in 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm rum
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) powdered sugar
- Rinse and pat chicken pieces dry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter in skillet and brown chicken.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add livers, gizzards, hearts, onion and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, until onion is tender.
- Stir in parsley, mint, ginger, cumin, red pepper, turmeric, saffron, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon.
- Stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Return chicken to skillet and simmer, covered, about 1 hour, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool.
- Discard chicken skin and bones and cut meat into chunks.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Pour off 2 cups (475 ml) broth and reserve.
- Reduce remaining broth to about 1/2 cup (125 ml).
- Scrape bits from bottom of skillet and reserve reduced mixture.
- Return reserved 2 cups (475 ml) broth to pan and bring to a simmer.
- Pour eggs into simmering broth and whisk until soft creamy curds are formed.
- Drain off excess liquid, if any.
- Stir in reserved reduced mixture.
- Brown almonds in 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, then toss with granulated sugar and 2 tbsp (30 ml) cinnamon.
- Melt about 1 cup (225 ml) butter.
- Overlap 6 sheets phyllo dough in a circle in 12 inch skillet or paella pan, first brushing each sheet with melted butter and letting about half the length of each sheet hang over pan edge.
- Fold 2 more buttered sheets in half and place in the middle of the pan.
- Layer almonds, half the egg mixture, chicken pieces, drained raisins, and remaining egg mixture in pastry-lined pan.
- Fold sides of dough up and over filling, brushing any dry areas with more butter.
- Tuck ends in around edges.
- Place 2 more buttered and folded sheets of phyllo over bastilla, gently tucking in edges to form a smooth surface.
- Brush generously all over with butter.
- With sharp knife, score top in a diamond pattern.
- Bake at 425 degrees (225 C.) for 25 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Carefully slide onto serving plate and sprinkle lightly between diamonds with mixture of powdered sugar and remaining 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) cinnamon.
- Serve warm.
- According to the L. A. Times California Cookbook, this recipe won first prize in a March of Dimes cookoff. Hope it meets your expectations!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.