Print Friendly Recipe
- L. A. Times California Cookbook, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1981
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 1 (2-1/2 lbs (1.1 kg). to 3 lbs (1.4 kg).) chicken, cut up
- 1 whole chicken breast, halved
- unsalted butter or margarine
- 4 chicken livers, diced
- 4 chicken gizzards, diced
- 4 chicken hearts, diced
- 1 cup (225 ml) minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped mint
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) red pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crumbled saffron threads
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cinnamon
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) golden raisins, soaked in 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm rum
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) powdered sugar
- Rinse and pat chicken pieces dry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter in skillet and brown chicken.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add livers, gizzards, hearts, onion and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, until onion is tender.
- Stir in parsley, mint, ginger, cumin, red pepper, turmeric, saffron, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon.
- Stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Return chicken to skillet and simmer, covered, about 1 hour, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool.
- Discard chicken skin and bones and cut meat into chunks.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Pour off 2 cups (475 ml) broth and reserve.
- Reduce remaining broth to about 1/2 cup (125 ml).
- Scrape bits from bottom of skillet and reserve reduced mixture.
- Return reserved 2 cups (475 ml) broth to pan and bring to a simmer.
- Pour eggs into simmering broth and whisk until soft creamy curds are formed.
- Drain off excess liquid, if any.
- Stir in reserved reduced mixture.
- Brown almonds in 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, then toss with granulated sugar and 2 tbsp (30 ml) cinnamon.
- Melt about 1 cup (225 ml) butter.
- Overlap 6 sheets phyllo dough in a circle in 12 inch skillet or paella pan, first brushing each sheet with melted butter and letting about half the length of each sheet hang over pan edge.
- Fold 2 more buttered sheets in half and place in the middle of the pan.
- Layer almonds, half the egg mixture, chicken pieces, drained raisins, and remaining egg mixture in pastry-lined pan.
- Fold sides of dough up and over filling, brushing any dry areas with more butter.
- Tuck ends in around edges.
- Place 2 more buttered and folded sheets of phyllo over bastilla, gently tucking in edges to form a smooth surface.
- Brush generously all over with butter.
- With sharp knife, score top in a diamond pattern.
- Bake at 425 degrees (225 C.) for 25 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Carefully slide onto serving plate and sprinkle lightly between diamonds with mixture of powdered sugar and remaining 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) cinnamon.
- Serve warm.
- According to the L. A. Times California Cookbook, this recipe won first prize in a March of Dimes cookoff. Hope it meets your expectations!
|Email This To A Friend