Print Friendly Recipe
- A delicate, light, sweetened bread.
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lukewarm water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey or 1/3 cup (80 ml) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk, scalded
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sweet butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) sifted flour
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon, cardamom or anise
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water with honey or brown sugar until frothy.
- Beat eggs until very light.
- Scald milk and add butter and salt.
- When milk mixture cools to lukewarm combine it with the eggs and yeast.
- Add the liquid to the 3 cups (700 ml) flour and beat until elastic, adding more flour if necessary so that it will not be too thin (It must be spongey and light).
- Beat about 4 minutes.
- Set the bowl in a pan of hot water, cover with a towel and let dough rise until light.
- Beat dough down and put in a well-oiled pan.
- Set the pan in warm water.
- Cover loosely with a towel.
- When dough has risen, sprinkle with the mixture of sugar and spice - this is optional.
- Put the loaf in a cold oven.
- Set the oven to 400 degrees (200 C.) and bake for 10 minutes, then turn the heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake for 30 minutes more.
- This is a lovely tea bread. Too much flour must not be used to keep it delicate and light.
To make Sally Lunn muffins fill oiled muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for about 20 minutes.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.