Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). rose hips
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). apples, peeled and cored
- 5 cups (1175 ml) water
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg).granulated sugar, approximately
- Wash the rose hips and chop the apples.
- Place in separate cooking pans and add half the water to each.
- Add the lemon juice to the rose hips.
- Bring both pans to a gentle boil and then simmer until fruit is solf and pulpy.
- Place the juice and pulp together in a jelly bag (or 3 or 4 layers of muslin) and allow the juice to strain through into a clean bowl.
- Do not press or squeeze the fruit.
- Measure the strained juice and allow 2 cups (475 ml) of sugar to each 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) of juice.
- Place the juice and sugar in a clean pot.
- Bring to a boil stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then boil rapidly until the setting point is reached at 222 degrees (100 C.).
- Skim and pour into sterilized jars.
- Cover and place in hot water bath.
- For spiced rose hip jelly add a small cinnamon stick and 6 cloves to the rose hips at the beginning.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.