Print Friendly Recipe
- Roasted beets, with caremelized beet pedals, mixed greens, goat cheese, fried parsnips and vanilla-orange vinaigrette
- Tim Shelp,stl,mo
- 1 cup (225 ml) orange juice
- 1/2 oz (14 grm). ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 vanilla bean split and scraped
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 lime,juiced
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Thai fish sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pure olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large beets
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) sugar
- mixed greens, chefs preference
- 3/4 cupgoat cheese, crumbled
- 1 parsnip, peeled,sliced into very thin 1 inch by 4inch strips
- oil for frying
- In a small pan place orange juice, ginger, vanilla, and star anise.
- Reduce until 1/2 cup (125 ml) remains.
- Strain and reserve in a bowl.
- When room temperature, add the lime juice,mustard and Thia fish sauce.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oils,reserve.
- With one beet, remove the ends and roast at 450 degrees (225 C.) until tender.
- Cool, peel and julienne.
- With the other beet, peel and slice very thin disks.
- Sprinkle with a geneous amount of sugar.
- Place beets on a coated baking sheet.
- Place under a hot broiled until sugar caramelizes, reserve.
- Toss a small hand full of greens with the dressing for each salad,and place in the center of the plate.
- Toss julienne beets in the dressing,and place on and around the greens.
- Shingle the caramelized beets around the back of the greens.
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- For the parsnip garnish, simply fry the strips in 350 degree (175 C.) oil until golden brown.
- Place on top of the salads.
- Try serving this salad with poached seafood, or maybe with shredded duck confit.
|Email This To A Friend