Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 1 lb (.5 kg). bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) strong brewed coffee
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Melt butter on stove over low heat until foamy.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- Add chocolate and stir constantly over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in coffee and remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Butter 2 quarts (1900 ml) souffle dish (or individual souffle dishes) and coat with sugar.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar until peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes (less time for individual souffles).
- Serve immediately with whipped cream.
- Add 2 T. of your favorite liqueur (Grand Marnier, Chambord, etc.) to the chocolate after it has been removed from the heat and flavor the whipped cream with a little of the same liqueur
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.