Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken or vegetable stock or 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth mixed with 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fine sea salt
- freshly ground mixed or black peppercorns
- 1 ripe Bartlett pear
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- finely chopped fresh cilantro
- finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add scallions, shallots, and onion, stirring until softened but not browned.
- Add pumpkin or squash, potatoes, stock, sugar, coriander, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered until pumpkin/squash is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, peel and core pear and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Stir pear into soup and remove from heat.
- Cool 10 minutes and puree in a blender in batches, transferring to a large bowl.
- Return to pan and add butter.
- Reheat over moderate heat, stirring until butter is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and, if desired, thin soup with water to desired consistency.
- Soup may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.