Print Friendly Recipe
- Arielle's Recipe Archives
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth, strong
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). white pepper
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 celery ribs
- 1 large onion, halved or sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). parsley, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). baking soda
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml). shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- Gravy thickening:
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml). flour, mixed with 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- Place chicken in a 4 quarts (3775 ml) Dutch oven with the water, broth, salt, whie pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil and skim foam for a minute or two.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add garlic, celery, onion, and parsley.
- Cover and simmer gently 1 1/4 hours before adding dumplings
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together.
- With a fork or a pastry blender (or in a food processor) work the shortening into the flour mixture until the texture is that of cornmeal.
- Rapidly stir in buttermilk.
- Form dough into a ball and with floured hands knead it on a floured board for a few seconds, until bouncy.
- Roll out dough into a square or rectangle 1/2 inch thick and cut it into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Drop into the hot chicken stew when the chicken is nearly done, cover the pot again and simmer 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and dumplings to a platter or serving dish.
- Off heat, stir the flour paste into the broth left in the pot.
- Return to low heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened to a gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the chicken and dumplings and serve immediately.
- If you wish you can make the dumplings out of a baking mix (i.e. Bisquick or Jiffy). The dumpling directions are on the box.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.