Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich and chocolatey bars full of nuts and soooo good!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Makes 24 squares or bars
- 1 cup (225 ml) shortening (I use half butter flavored Crisco and half real unsalted butter)
- 2 cups (475 ml) brown sugar
- 2 eggs (I use Jumbo eggs, large or x-large are fine)
- 3 tsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 4 cups (950 ml) quick cooking oats
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped nuts
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- Cream the shortening (and butter if you use it) until fluffy; add sugar and beat thoroughly.
- Add eggs and 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla; beat well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and 1 tsp (5 ml) of salt; add to mixture and mix well.
- Mix in 1 cup (225 ml) of the nuts, and then set aside one cup of this dough.
- Press remaining dough into greased 9inch x 13 inch pan.
- In saucepan, melt butter and chips, then add 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt and the milk; stir, but do not cook.
- Add remaining 1 cup (225 ml) of nuts and 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla to the chocolate mixture.
- Spread this mixture over the dough in the pan.
- Crumble the 1 cup (225 ml) of reserved dough over the chocolate and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting.. if you can wait!
- This is especially delicious gently warmed in the mircowave and then put a scoop of vanilla ice cream over it!
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.