Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich, moist, delicious Pound Cake to serve alone or with fresh fruits.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:12 Slices or more
- 2 cups (475 ml) unsalted butter (2 cups (475 ml) = 1 Pound)
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla extract
- 4 cups (950 ml) sifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- Cream the butter, then add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift the measured flour with the salt and cream of tartar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients in several parts, mixing only enough to blend--do not over beat.
- Prepare either two 7 inch loaf pans or a large bundt pan by greasing them lightly and lining them with parchment paper, leaving enough paper hanging over the top edge to help remove the loaves after baking, or grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan (angle food cake pan) with a removable bottom., shaking off the excess flour.
- Pour batter into the pan(s) and bake in a preheated 325 degree (175 C.) oven for 1 hour.
- Test by inserting a cake tester or straw in the middle to see if it comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan(s) for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.
- Lemon Pound Cake: Use 1 tsp (5 ml). Lemons extract instead of the vanilla and add the grated rind of 1 lemon.
- Almond Pound Cake: Use 1 tsp (5 ml). Almond extract instead of the vanilla and add 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped almonds.
- When cherries come into season, this is an excellent pound cake to serve with fresh homemade cherry preserves as a sauce and whipped cream, only to top with a few fresh cherries.
Pound Cake: Makes 2 Seven Inch Loaves, a 12 inch bundt pan, or one 10 Inch Tube Pan
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.