Print Friendly Recipe
- Don't let the mixed greens and ingredients intimidate you! SIMPLE salad, add Chicken or Beef for a Fabulous Main Dish!!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 head red leafed lettuce, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 to 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite size pieces
- 4 to 5 stems fresh ilantro, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, rinsed, and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 English cucumber, rinsed, dried and cut into cubes
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can pinto beans, drain the canned bean liqour and save
- 4 to 8 plum or Roma tomatoes, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, rinsed, cleaned, and chopped
- 2 4 oz (112 grm). cans diced green chilies (If you have fresh roasted green chilies, they are the best to use)
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). to 3/4 lb (.3 kg). mixed cheeses (sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- 1 bag of your favorite Corn (Tortilla) Chips (Nacho Flavored Doritos or Fritos are great to use too!)
- 1 bottle Catalina Dressing (Or your favorite vinegar and oil dressing mixed with your favorite salsa until you have the right flavor you want)
- Optional garnishes:
- sour cream
- pickled jalepeno peppers
- favorite thick salsa
- Mix and toss together gently all the greens, mushrooms, green pepper, cucumber, beans, tomato, olives, onions and green chile in a large deep salad bowl--this can be lightly covered and left to chill in the fridge for up to a day before serving, but no more.
- Just before serving, add the mixed cheeses, tortilla chips (in bite sized or whole pieces to use as a dipper in the salad) and dressing.
- Easy and gently toss all together.
- I have served this salad MANY times to rave reviews. I have served it to guests and they eat it all up! This is one of my husband's favorite meals all year 'round!
Use strips of grilled lemon chicken breast or tender grilled lemon beef chunks (Sirloin is great to use) mixed in for a complete meal in a salad.
For a really fun presentation, go to your local craft store and buy a Clean and New large Clay Pot. Carefully line the inside of the pot with aluminum foil (I use the heavy wide stuff). It makes a great serving bowl and really fun for outdoor picnics or get-togethers. Super simple clean up that way too!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.