Print Friendly Recipe
- Condiment with Island flair, but used everywhere for downhome goodness!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more pints
- 5 cups (1175 ml) sugar
- 4 cups (950 ml) vinegar
- 12 cups (2825 ml) firm mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated gingerroot
- 1 to 4 chile peppers, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup (225 ml) seeded raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) seedless raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) currants
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Boil sugar and vinegar together for 5 minutes; add mangoes and remaining ingredients.
- Cook over moderate heat for about 1 hour or until thick and of desired consistency; stir frequently.
- Pour into sterilized glass pint jars to about 1 inch to edge of rim and seal with sterilized lids and rings.
- Hot water bath for 30 minutes.
- Check with your local home extension office for pressure canning times or any recent corrections for hot water bath times for the fruit used.
- Note: If you divide the recipe.. or make it and share with others, you can keep it safely in the fridge for up to a month's use without processing.
This is especially good with pork and chicken dishes. Our personal favorites are Adobo Pork or Southern Fried Chicken!
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.