Print Friendly Recipe
- Here is a version I like prepared by the Canyons restaurants.
- Loral (Kountry cookin')
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- One very large (preferably sweet - I like to use Vadalia or Maya Sweets) onion, top sliced off and peeled, leaving root intact.
- Onion Flour Recipe:
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pepper (white preferred)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) onion powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cayenne
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) garlic salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- Sprinkle of dried basil
- Horseradish Dip Recipe:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 ml) prepared horseradish
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely minced
- Cut down through onion in half-inch crossing pattern.
- Place in ice-water bath for 24 hours or overnight.
- Chefs prepare the item on a vertical cutting tool, the onion blossom machine, specifically designed for the task, but you can do it at home using a sharp chef's knife, taking care not to cut all the way through the onion.
- Dredge with onion flour (see recipe above).
- Coat with egg wash made with four eggs and two cups flour(or scale down).
- Dredge thoroughly again in onion flour.
- Place in a deep fryer, bottom side up, for 4 minutes or until golden brown; turn over and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain upside down for one minute.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove onion core with corer or sharp paring knife.
- Garnish (if you wish) and serve with BBQ sauce or Dipping Sauce
- Horseradish Dip:
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- May be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- To get a pink tint you might want to try adding a little beet juice.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.