Print Friendly Recipe
- From Molly Katzen's "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" ISBN: 0-89815-078-7
- S. Chokel
- 1 1 lb (.5 kg). bunch of broccoli
- 2 cups (475 ml) (raw) brown rice
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dill weed
- Lots of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried mint
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly minced parsley
- 1 packed 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheddar or swiss cheese
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Butter a 10 inch x 6 inch casserole or baking pan.
- Cut off bottoms of broccoli and several inches of stalk.
- Of the crowns and stems left, shave off the tough outer skin and cut the croccoli into spears (these will be the trees).
- Combine the brown rice and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover.
- Cook until JUST done (20-30 minutes).
- Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, saute the butter, chopped onion, large clove of crushed garlic, salt, dill weed, black pepper, dried mint, and cayenne pepper over medium heat, stirring until the onions are soft and translucent (8-10 minutes).
- Add this to the cooked rice; mix well.
- Beat together the eggs, parsley, and cheese and then beat into the rice mixture.
- Spread the rice and cheese mixture into a buttered 10 inch x 6 inch casserole or baking pan.
- Steam the broccoli until bright grteen and JUST tender.
- Rinse immediately in cold water, drain.
- Mix together the lemon juice and 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter.
- Arrange these broccoli trees upright in the bed of rice-mixture and drizzle the trees with lemon butter.
- Cover gently, but firmly as possible with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- 50 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake.
Identification of Molly Katzen's "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest"
Ten Speed Press
P.O. Box 7123
Berkley, CA 94707
I highly recommend that you order this cookbook from Amazon off this site's clickable link. It is an outstanding cookbook in appearance, ease of recipes and nutrition. Molly Katzen also has an online site. She is an outstanding artist in all regards. I hope you enjoy this recipe and purchase all her wonderful books!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.