Print Friendly Recipe
- Susan S.
- 1 5 lb (2.3 kg). duck
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) celery, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon, ground
- 1 star anise, broken up
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar or honey
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry sherry
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Chinese black vinegar or red wine vinegar
- fresh coriander leaves
- Clean duck, removing as much fat from the neck as posible.
- Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Tie the neck closed.
- Combine onion, celery, ginger, cinnamon, anise, soy sauce, sugar and wine.
- Bring to a boil and pour into duck.
- Sew up the opening.
- Rub skin with the salt.
- Line a pan with heavy aluninium foil.
- Place duck breast side up, on a rack in the pan.
- Pour 1 cup (225 ml) water into the bottom of the pan to reduce smoke.
- Roast in a 425 degree (225 C.) oven 30 minutes turning once.
- Pour off the water and fat and prick the skin lightly with a fork.
- Brush the duck with honey, vinegar and soy sauce mixture.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees (200 C.) and roast 1 1/2 hours longer or until done, turning several times and brushing with the basting mixture every half hour.
- Snip the threads and drain the duck (reserve the filling as sauce if desired).
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut duck in small pieces and serve with coriander.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.