Print Friendly Recipe
- This is the recipe that will turn you into an Eggplant LOVER! Very simple and authentic! Delight your family with this hearty flavorful nutrition!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, cut into chunks
- 1 large eggplant, cut into chuncks (peel if you like)
- 4 medium zuchinni, cut into chunks
- 3 green peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh mushrooms, cut into halves or quarters
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) basil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic powder
- 5 ripe tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces (or a large can of QUALITY whole plum tomatoes)
- In a large covered dutch oven or pot place 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil, the onion and clove of garlic.
- Over medium heat, cook until soft but not browned at all.
- Using enough of the reserved olive oil to keep vegetables from sticking, add the eggplant, zuchinni and green peppers.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Add the mushrooms in the pot and stir.
- Add the seasonings and very lightly simmer for about 1o to 15 minutes (the vegetables need to be cooked, but still firm).
- Add the tomatoes, stir into pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, it is BEST to chill the ratatouille in the refrigerator overnight, reheat and eat the next day.
- Serve it in bowls or crocks with a rich fragrant crusty chewy bread and a tangy savory cheese, or serve over penne or rigatoni. We like ours with an extra can of plum tomatoes added in and on top of fettucine and lots of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
There has NEVER been a person who has complained or didn't love this recipe. Kids to adults LOVE it!
Hint: On occasion, I have added cooked chicken cubes to it when reheating or chuncks of a good hot italian sausage for a real full bodied meal! Oh, it is so good, you won't believe your mouth!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.