Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). all-purpose flour or matzah meal
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking powder
- 1 onion, minced
- black pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- applesauce, sour cream garnish
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes with a grater or food processer (You can grate them into a bowl of salted water to keep them from discoloring. Otherwise they discolor about as fast as you can grate them, although it doesn't hurt anything if you use them right away).
- Drain off all liquid, and squeeze the excess liquid out by hand (Do this even if you don't soak them in the salted water).
- Add eggs, salt, flour or matzah meal, baking powder, onion, pepper and paprika.
- Mix well.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium high heat until very hot.
- Drop potato mixture by heaping tbsp into oil (about 4 at a time).
- Use a pancake turner to flatten them out.
- Fry to golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve topped with applesauce or sour cream.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.