Print Friendly Recipe
- Simple and Delicious Meal that makes happy and healthy bodies! Tangy tomatoes meet rich sweet shrimp with savory bacon with rice! Yummie stuff!
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) canned plum tomatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) uncooked white rice
- 2 cups (475 ml) shrimp, cooked
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove cooked bacon, set aside and keep fat in the skillet.
- Add onions to the bacon fat and stir until cooked, but not caramelized (browned).
- Heat tomatoes in top of double boiler, add bacon and the onion mixture with most of the fat.
- Add Rice and cook for 45 minutes.
- Place the shrimp on the bottom of a buttered oven proof casserole dish.
- Carefully put the hot tomato and rice mixture on top of the shrimp.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 20 minutes.
- This is especially good with a cold crisp salad of greens with mandarin oranges and walnuts and a sweet vinaigrette and a light flavorful yeast recipe of a grits muffin!
Pilau is a Southeastern US dish. I got this recipe from a Savannah, GA friend who swears it is the Soul Food of Savannah! Don't mention that to my friend from Charleston, SC!! She will fight you for the rights to authentic Pilau too!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.