Print Friendly Recipe
- Cooking in Upcountry Pennsylvania
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 cup (225 ml) molasses
- 2 cups (475 ml) boiling water
- 2 tsp (10 ml). baking soda
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour a 9 inch x 12 inch X 2 inch pan.
- Mix flour, salt, dark brown sugar, and butter or margarine until crumbly; reserve 1 cup (225 ml) of crumbs.
- Combine molasses, boiling water, and baking soda.
- Add to first bowl of crumbs; mix.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Top with 1 cup (225 ml) reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- I'm not sure if this is the recipe you are looking for or not. I thought perhaps because because of the reference to Shoo-Fly pie it could possibly be.
This recipe is from Cooking in Upcountry Pennslyvannia, a cookbook written by my grandmother, Mildred Haney Ryerson (1914-1997). You can preview the book at www.milliespies.com.
Please feel free to use this recipe or pass it to a friend if you enjoy it.
The recipe is not however free for publication the copyright is held by Nancy Haney Reifinger.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.