Print Friendly Recipe
- The Scandanavian Delicacy for Holidays and hearty family dinners. The NON TOMATO way to serve cabbage rolls!
Serves/Makes:15 Cabbage Rolls (approx.)
- Cabbage Ingredients:
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of salt
- boiling water to cover
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1 lb (.5 kg). veal, ground 4 times
- 1 lb (.5 kg). beef, ground 4 times
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) dry bread crumbs
- 4 tsp (20 ml) grated onion
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg
- water or chicken stock to cover cabbage rolls
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp (5 ml) to 1 quart (950 ml) of water, or none if using stock)
- Cream Gravy Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cardamom
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- Cabbage Directions:
- Set out a large 8 quarts (7575 ml) pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Remove the outer wilted or damaged leaves of the cabbage, core it leaving it whole and place in the large kettle with boiling water to cover and the salt.
- Simmer it for about 15 minutes or until the leaves are softened. Remove the softened leaves and continue until you have removed all the leaves. Set aside on absorbent paper towels to dry.
- Filling and Cabbage Roll Directions:
- Mix together lightly in a large mixing bowl the veal, beef, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt and nutmeg.
- Place a small cabbage leaf in the center of a large leaf.
- Drop about 1/4 cup (60 ml) to 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the meat mixture onto the center of each small leaf (the meat mixture will drop more readily from a moistened spoon or cup).
- Roll each leaf, tucking ends in toward the center.
- Fasten securely with wooden toothpicks or tie with clean string.
- Bring to a rapid boil the water or stock in a large 8 10 quarts (9450 ml) kettle.
- Add the cabbage rolls ne at a time so that the water (or stock) continues to boil.
- Reduce the heat once the rolls are all added, adjust the liquid level so that it won't simmer over, cover tightly and continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully remove cabbage rolls with a slotted spoon.
- Remove wooden toothpicks or string.
- Place rolls in a serving dish and serve with the cream gravy.
- Cream Gravy Directions:
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, put the butter, flour, salt and cardamom.
- Heat until the mixture bubbles and then remove from the heat.
- Add gradually the 2 cups (475 ml) of room temperature or warm milk stirring CONSTANTLY.
- Return to the heat and bring rapidly to a boil, stirring constantly still, and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Serve over the cabbage rolls.
- This is wonderful served with buttered and chived boiled new red potaotes and fresh bread with creamery sweet butter and ligonberry or raspberry jam.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.