Print Friendly Recipe
- Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light rum or brandy
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, cut up
- 2 tsp (10 ml). vanilla
- 8 oz (224 grm). mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) instant coffee crystals
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coffee liqueur
- Lady Fingers
- 2 oz (56 grm). semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) powdered sugar
- Heat 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the milk over low heat.
- In a saucepan combine granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk and the egg yolks.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Gradually stir in hot milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; reduce heat.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Stir in rum or brandy, butter, and vanilla.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours (mixture will be very thick).
- Allow mascarpone to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Stir mascarpone until smooth; fold in custard.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat whipping cream just until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into custard mixture.
- In a small bowl dissolve coffee crystals in 3/4 cup (175 ml) water; add liquer.
- Brush 12 Ladyfingers with half of coffee mixture.
- Arrange in the bottom of a 2-qt. square baking dish.
- Spread half of the custard mixture on top and sprinkle with half of grated chocolate.
- Repeat with remaining Ladyfingers, coffee, custard, and chocolate.
- Cover; chill 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle powdered sugar over top.
- Some recipes call for lining the bottom of the dish in ladyfingers and then standing them lengthwise around the sides of the dish. Just make sure you don't get them too wet as they will turn mushy.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.