Print Friendly Recipe
- 450g/1lb. plain flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 40g/1 1/2oz. butter, creamed
- For the filling:
- 1.5kg/3lb. apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 225g/8oz. sugar
- 120 ml/4 fl.oz. rum
- 85ml/3fl.oz. orange flower water
- thinly pared rind of 1 lemon
- To finish:
- 25g/1oz. butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- caster sugar
- Macerate the sliced apples with the filling ingredients overnight.
- Strain the apples, reserving the juice.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, put butter and eggs into a well in the centre.
- Working with the fingertips gradually add 200ml/7 fl.oz. of the liquid from the apples.
- Work into a smooth and elastic paste with your hand and leave to rest for 2 hours.
- Roll out as thinly as possible, then transfer to a floured cloth on a large table.
- Working from the centre, with the palms of your hands, carefully stretch the paste to the thinness of a cigarette paper.
- Rest it and yourself for 1 hour.
- Brush lightly with melted butter and dust with sugar, cover with well drained apples and roll up.
- Mix the remaining juice into the beaten egg and brush over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190EC/390E/Gas 5 for 50-55 minutes.
- Prep Time: 12 hours 0 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hours 0 minutes
- This is an unedited version of this recipe showing the original conversions of the contributor.
Recipe Courtesy of Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.