Print Friendly Recipe
- Mexican dessert
- Mrs. Wiggs
Serves/Makes:A bunch but never enough
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk + 2 tbsp
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) shortening(Crisco)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl.
- Put milk and shortening in medium bowl and microwave on high until shortening starts to melt and milk is warm but not hot!
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and beat till dough is formed and leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Knead 8-10 times.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out into a square about 1/8" thick.
- Cut into 2x3" rectangles and let rest while heating the oil.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Drop sopaipillas into hot oil 2 or 3 at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with honey to pour over them.
- We ate these at Pancho's in Arlington, TX. They are sooo good. The way to eat them - tear off one corner of sopaipilla, pour in about a tablespoon of honey and eat. Or you can sprinkle them with conf. sugar or granulated sugar, or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. If you are not crazy about honey, mix 1/4 c. honey with 1/4 c. corn syrup and serve with sopaipillas.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.