Print Friendly Recipe
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). boneless pork butt or shoulder
- 1 cup (225 ml) cola
- 1 recipe North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
- North Carolina Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup (225 ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- Trim all possible fat from roast.
- Place in crockpot, pour cola over, cover and cook on low for 10 - 12 hours or until pork can be easily shredded.
- Remove pork from pot, shred in a bowl, removing all possible fat. You can use two forks or your fingers (let cool slightly).
- Discard liquid.
- Return pork to pot (you don't have to wash it).
- Add barbecue sauce to taste and mix.
- Continue to cook on low for 5 - 6 hours, adding more barbecue sauce if needed.
- Serve as sandwiches in buns.
- Barbecue sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients over medium heat. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, stirring constantly.
- Yields: about 1 2/3 cups
- This freezes perfectly.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.