Print Friendly Recipe
- Classic Rich Yellow Cake, Custardy Creamy Fillings and Sweet Deep Chocolate Glazing. Everyone's favorite!
Serves/Makes:8 or more slices
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) white sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla extract
- Creamy Custard Filling Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) white sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp (10 ml). vanilla extract
- Chocolate Glazing Ingredients:
- 2 1-oz. squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) confectioners sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). hot water
- Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease anad flour 1 9-inch high sided like a spring form pan or two round cake pans.
- In a large deep mixing bowl or in your large Kitchen Aid Mixer bowl, beat the flour, 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, baking powder, salt, 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk, shortening, 1 egg, and 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla at low speed, scraping the bowl constantly for a good 30 seconds.
- Then, beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 3 full minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Filling Directions:
- In a medium deep mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until lemony, and set aside.
- In a 2 quarts (1900 ml) heavy bottomed saucepan, mix 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in the milk gradually and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir at least 1/2 of this hot mixture slowly, a little at a time, into the egg yolks.
- Return this now tempered yolk mixture to the saucepan and boil and stir well for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 2 tsp (10 ml). vanilla.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Chocolate Glazing Directions:
- Heat the chocolate and butter (or margarine) over low heat until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in the water, 1 tsp (5 ml). at a time, until glaze is of desired consistency.
- Assembling the Cake (Pie):
- Using the two small thinner layer cakes or split the cooled springform cake in half to make 2 thin layers.
- Fill the layers with the filling.
- Then spread the chocolate glaze over the top.
- Chill before serving and refrigerate any leftover cake.
- As a different but still good rendition that is much quicker try this:
1. Use split layers of a store bought Angel Food or pound cake, split into 2-3 thinner layers.
2. Use lady fingers instead of cake and "assemble" inside a pretty glass dish with sides, more like a cross between trifle and a custardy tiramisu.
3. Add your favorite flavors to the custard and chocolate glazing, like Frangelico or Chambord liqeuers or maybe even garnish and incorporate your favorite fruits like Raspberries or Mandarin Oranges!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.