Print Friendly Recipe
- Hot dog in batter
- Ashley Harrison
- 8 thick skewers
- 8 saveloys or frankfurts
- plain flour
- oil for deep frying
- Ingredients for batter:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Insert skewers through frankfurts or saveloys lengthways, leaving about 8cm protruding at one end for a handle.
- Dust frankfurts or saveloys lightly with flour.
- To make batter:
- Place flour, bicarb.soda, water, and egg in a food processer or blender.
- Process mixture for 10 seconds or until all ingredients are combined and mixture is free of lumps.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Heat oil to moderately hot in a deep heavy-based pan.
- Holding the end of the skewers, dip the frankfurts or saveolys one or two at a time into the batter.
- Use a spoon if necessary to coat the frankfurts or saveloys completely; drain off any excess batter.
- Holding skewer ends, gently lower battered frankfurts or saveloys into oil.
- Hold for a few seconds until they float unaided.
- Cook for 1 minute or until golden and crisp.
- Carefully remove from the oil with tongs and drain on kitchen hand towel.
- Do this till all of them are finished then repeat the process.
- Serve with tomato sauce with chips and a cool drink.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.