Print Friendly Recipe
- Wonderful Bulgarian dessert from a new cookbook by Sonja Kapsazova
- The Bulgarian National Cuisine In My Home, Balkan Press JSC
Serves/Makes:1 9"x13" cake
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar plus
- 2 handfuls of crystal sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) yogurt
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) melted butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- fruits by choice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- Beat the eggs with the granulated sugar.
- Add the butter, the sifted flour and the baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Add the soda to the yogurt and then add it to the mixture.
- Grease and flour cake pan.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Arrange fruits on top (so that each serving will have some on top) and sprinkle with crystal sugar.
- Bake for about 40 minutes in a moderate 350 degree (175 C.) to 375 degree (200 C.) oven.
- Fruits are up to your taste and choice. You could use cherries (pitted), berries, or slices of plums or apricots. Alternately, you could use bits of dark chocolate, wlnuts, almonds, raisins, etc.
This recipe comes from the above titled recipe book and is available through Boyan Savov and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org on the web. The price of the cookbook is $16.00 and includes shipping worldwide.
In the dish pictured in the cookbook, pitted cherries were carefully arranged so that there was one in the center of each square of cake after it was cut.
An interesting ethnic cookbook with appetizing photographs. 82 pages of authentic Bulgarian cuisine. Most recipes use metric measurements sometimes a little vague as to exact quantity allowing for user to create the recipe to his or her own tastes.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.