Print Friendly Recipe
- Chocolate Pie
Serves/Makes:1 9" pie
- 1 baked 9" pie shell
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- heaping 3 tbsp (45 ml). flour (all purpose or self rising)
- dash of salt
- heaping 2 tbsp (30 ml). cocoa powder
- 1/2 stick of real butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla flavoring
- 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
- level 6 tbsp (90 ml). sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). to 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put milk in a 2 qt. to 3 qt. heavy sauce pan, on to warm (not boil) over medium heat.
- Mix together the flour, sugar cocoa and salt, and set aside.
- When the milk is warm add the flour mixture, using a whisk to stir it as you pour.
- Continue to cook, and whisking regularly, and keep the mixture stirred up off the bottom of the pan, where it will not stick, and make sure you keep the temperature on medium.
- After it begins to thicken, then start whisking constantly
- Slightly beat the egg yolks.
- When the Mixture has thickened up some, take approximately 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the hot mixture and add to the beaten egg yolk and whisk it together then add the egg mixture back into the pan of hot mixture.
- Continue to cook and whisking until it is as thick as you want it. (Take off the pan from the heat and put a little of the mixture in something and let it cool, and see if it is as thick as you want it, if not, continue to cook until it is, remember as the mixture cools it will thicken, so allow for this)
- When it is as thick as you want it, take it off the heat and add the butter and the vanilla flavoring.
- Cool a little, then pour it into a baked pie shell.
- Then add the meringue on top, making sure that the meringue touches the sides of the pie shell so it will not shrink away from the pie, when you brown it.
- Bake it in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven until the meringue is as brown as you want it.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy and then add the cream of tartar.
- Continue to beat and start adding the sugar, 1 tbsp (15 ml). at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla flavoring and beat until mixed then put on top of pie, and brown as directions above.
- Another great Pie from My Aunt Gertrude Harper.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.