Print Friendly Recipe
- As hot as you like
- My own formula
Serves/Makes:7 or more pints
- 16 cups (3775 ml) to 18 cups (4250 ml) chopped drained tomatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped hot red peppers
- 1 or 2 sweet green or red chopped peppers
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canning salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried cilantro, optional
- 2 tsp (10 ml). to 4 tsp (20 ml). hot pepper flakes--you can add more the last half hour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). paprika.
- 1 cup (225 ml) white vinegar(add later)
- Prepare tomatoes as for canning.
- Wash, peel and chop tomatoes (I chop them into a collander to rid some of the liquid).
- Chop onions and peppers (wear gloves for the hot ones).
- Measure tomatoes. 3 or 4 cups (950 ml) over or under does not matter.
- Put in large stainless steel or enamel sauce pot.with all other ingredients--except vinegar.
- Bring to slow boil and simmer about 2 hours.
- Add vinegar and continue simmering until consistancy you like. I use 3 shallow pots at the half way mark. It reduces faster.
- Prepare jars and lids as usual for canning.
- Add hot salsa, filling jars to half inch.
- Wipe jar tops and apply lids--just hand tight.
- Hot water bath canning is fine. 30 minutes for pints, after the water starts to boil. I use a pressure canner and process for 30 minutes at a scant 10 lbs (4.5 kg). pressure for 30 minutes.
- Let the pressure canner cool naturally for a few hours before opening.
- This is my 9th batch of Salsa this season. Every one is different. One batch has 2 cups of sugar,some have 1 and some have none. My family members all have their own favorite.
I give it away to my children and grand-children. Some like it hot, some sweet. They all get at least some of what they like. I keep a ledger of all the formula's with a Lot number for each. All jars are marked with the date and Lot number. All I need do is look in the ledger for the formula. One important note. Always use equal parts sugar and vinegar. You can make it without sugar or vinegar.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.