Print Friendly Recipe
- For canning
- 10 lbs (4.5 kg). tomatoes
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) basil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- bottled lemon juice or citric acid
- Peel tomatoes and chop.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in large saucepot.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer about 2 hours.
- Press mixture through sieve or food mill; discard seeds.
- Cook pulp in large uncovered pot on medium high until sauce thickens - this may take several hours. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice or 1/4 t citric acid to each pint jar.
- Ladle sauce into jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace.
- Wipe rim clean, place lid on jar.
- Attach ring.
- Process in boiling water canner 35 minutes.
- This is from homecanning.com and I thought it was tasty. Because you are adding acid to each jar, you can play around with the spicing and sweetness.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.